Tenby is a historic walled seaside town in Pembrokeshire, South wales. The walls date back to the 13th century when they were built to keep the native Welsh population out of the town which was reserved for the English overlords.
It was a prosperous merchant town through the Tudor period with ships sailing to Ireland, Brittany and the Iberian Peninsula. The wars of Elizabeth The First however stopped the trade with France and Spain and during the Civil War parliamentary forces besieged the town twice. In 1651 Plague decimated the population.
Through all these trials The Town still built a reputation as an agreeable and hospitable place and by 1780 the visitor numbers began to increase with people coming from far and wide to enjoy it’s healthy sea air, bathing and spas. By 1850 Tenby had grown to a population of 3,200, larger than Eastbourne, Blackpool and Bournemouth. Served by Steamers from Bristol and the trains when the railway arrived in 1863, The town continued to flourish with the building of fine Victorian hotels and the Esplanade.
The threat of French invasion of the 1850’s saw a strengthening of the towns defences and the building of St Catherine’s fort on the Island at South Beach to protect the shores. By 1910 however this was converted into a luxurious holiday home and is now open to visitors. The town remains a fantastic example of a historic seaside resort that is full of charm and character.